I was finally talked into buying Anna Maria Horner’s book “Handmade Beginnings”. I have had it on my wishlist for months and when I finally decided to pull the trigger, it couldn’t come fast enough. I had two baby showers coming up, so I knew it would be put to good use immediately.
My good friend is having her third boy. I wanted to make her something she really needed, so when she mentioned she had been looking into getting a new diaper bag, I decided I would make her one. And then I went crazy. I ordered the book knowing it had a diaper bag pattern and then proceeded to spend hours trying find the perfect fabric. Like I said, my friend is having her third boy, so I knew she would not want the bag to be girly. Finding non-girly fabric was a challenge for me. Every time I thought I found fabric that would work, I’d show it to my man and he would say “eh, that kinda looks flowery/girly/etc.” Eventually, I settled on some navy and gray fabric by Dear Stella.
WARNING: This bag is no joke. It took me a good 15 hours start to finish, which consisted of 1 frenzied 10 hour chunk of time immediately after the fabric was delivered to my doorstep at 4pm…I sewed into the wee hours of the night. Followed by a few hours the next day. I was just too excited to stop.
Part of what made the bag such a labor of love is the heavy duty double sided fusible interfacing. Woah. First of all, it is $10/yard and you need 3 yards (luckily, I had a 50% off coupon). Yikes. When I went to the cutting table with it, the lady asked me,” Do you know what this is? Are you sure this is what you want? What in the world are you making with it?” Ha. I found a few blog posts written about this bag and most of them did not spring for the crazy interfacing, but I am a rule follower and I wanted to make it as Anna intended.
My opinion…the stuff is the devil and made the project much, much harder than it needed to be (i.e. I spent an hour and a half ironing to fuse everything together), BUT it does look nice to have such a defined finished project.
Next time, I will do without…
There are no pattern pieces for inside pockets, so you are free to do as you please. I ended up making a small pocket for keys and a cell phone on one side and one large pocket along the entire side of the bag with a seam down the middle creating two large pockets. There is also a divider in the middle of the bag.
The pattern calls for putting a loop of elastic in one corner seam for you to place a changing pad. I couldn’t resist making a coordinating changing pad. I used iron-on vinyl on the changing side so it can be wiped clean.
I also made a diaper/wipes case using this tutorial. I love how the case turned out. It is a quick project and different than most of the ones out there in blogland. I like that you can easily see what your diaper stock is and you can fit a good amount of diapers in it.
So folks, there you have it. Just looking at these pictures makes me tired But the bag was a big hit and Mommy-to-be is happy.